Monday, September 20, 2010

September

It's been a long time since I last put in a post. It's pretty terrible considering summer is the time that I wanted to "create". Summer is nearing and end, and to be honest it feels like it when so fast that I really can't remember what I did for the last 2 months! My life was consumed with work, having traveled to New York for four days last month for work, and then Seattle for another five. But now I'm back, and I really need to focus!

I actually had to drop out of the Dalicious contest that took place at Dolly Market. I had the last minute business trip mentioned above, so I didn't have enough time to put effort into my last entry for the final round. I was a bit bummed I couldn't complete the challenge, but in the end I was still glad that I did enter overall. I learned a lot from this round. I challenged myself to try to do more action shots with scenery rather than just plain backgrounds and face shots. I might enter next season's Dalicious, which apparently won't happen until Spring 2011.

Earlier this month, I organized the second San Francisco Bay Area Pullip meet of 2010, and it went pretty well. Three people came that also attended last year, which was nice because now we have some regulars. I'm going to try to plan another meet for December in San Jose, and hopefully that will be just as successful, drawing more members. Looking back, I did a whole lot of planning in the last few months! I've been cross-promoting and trying to reach out to other collectors I've met through the years. There are other pullip collectors in the area, and if they are willing, I'd love to meet them as well.

But that's what's been inspiring me. After meeting with other pullip collectors, it helped inspire me to be more creative with my own collection. I eventually want to own a nice camera, but for now, I've decided I should focus on my photography and photo-shopping skills. This past weekend, I took a few of my dolls out to the park near my home and did a few practice shots. I don't normally take my dolls out in public (especially on my own), and I feel I need to overcome that fear. I think that a few came out pretty well considering I'm still new to shooting dolls in public. Hopefully, over time I'll have better compositions and take more interesting photos. I'll first take small steps within the park, then perhaps over time, work on going to other public places.

With anything, practice makes perfect, and I keep having to tell myself that. Although the weather has been strange lately, I won't let it discourage me from trying to get out and take photos. I'm finding that the more I spend 'studying' my subjects, the more interested I am about creating their personality and back story. I've been using the notebook on my desk to sketch them and copy down their traits. I don't draw enough as it is, so I am extremely rusty. But I figure, once you get the juices flowing, it should come easier. Nothing is natural, I just need a little more practice. :)

No comments: